Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Introduction

 
The beginning of my garden blog: an introduction to me, my family, and our home.
 
 
 
Not the best picture of us, but a good example of the face I make when I think a terrier is going to put his tongue up my nose.



My name is Christina and I live with my husband and our two dogs in Fairfield Plantation. We have been in our home for a couple of years and have personalized the interior of our cozy nest, created a private retreat in our back garden, and totally neglected our front garden. I think it is time to show some love to our front garden and this blog will document my ideas, readings, field trips, and creative endevours toward creating a garden that suits our home and vision.

 
This is what the front of our home looks like right now. Mister installed the picket fence to help keep our dogs out of the road...in my mind it is a lovely courtyard; in real life we refer to it as the dog-catcher.


Mister and I spent a few days in St. Augustine, Florida earlier this week and were told we must go to Harry's to see the courtyard (and try the seafood, of course). OMGeee!! Exactly the mood I want to create. The flooring was neutral, there was black wrought iron tables and chairs, fairy lights overhead, and evergreen plantings around the parameters. I think this may have been a Creole look, I have seen many of the same type of gardens in both Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA.

I don't plan to open a restaurant out front, but I would like my courtyard to have similar features. I also want to add some foundation plantings but don't want to spend lots of time trimming; and I want to define the Japanese Maple bed that is to the left of the picture above. You can't tell it from the picture (or in real life) but I use the area next to the Maple bed as a walkway to the front gate and I would like for it to be more defined with maybe stepping stones or paving- depending on budget.

Anyway...that is me, my family, and our front garden. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment