Wednesday, October 24, 2012

SWOT Analysis for my Landscape


According to our landscaping class, a gardener should perform a SWOT Analysis on their garden to assess their Strengths, Weaknesses (or limitations), Opportunities, and Threats

We have dealt with what was the main threat in our garden. Our home is on a third of an acre lot located on a busy main road. That means it isn't far for my dogs to run before they are in the road. When someone came to our door I couldn't get them to hurry inside so I could close the door and keep the dogs inside (this is the South; guests must first use a high pitched voice to greet their host, hug everybody's neck, compliment the garden WHILE the front door is open, and make a big show of wiping their feet before entering).

Our threat was the busy road so close to our front door.

We dealt with the threat of the busy road by putting a picket fence around a small area, creating a courtyard. Mission accomplished; threat killed, quaint courtyard born.

Actually, I may be stretching it a little. The courtyard is a work in process. But the threat of my dogs being run over has been handled.

 
Couryard (or dog-catcher), photo taken standing next to the cement girl



Since I accidentally started at the back of SWOT, I will continue in that direction and look at Opportunities next. That's right; I am doing a TOWS Analysis.

Our garden is part of a wooded area, our home is (maybe) a morph between a Tudor home and an English cottage. I love J.R.R. Tolkien. I can give my garden hints of hte 'Shire. That is what I call an Opportunity with a capital O!

The Hobbit

Actually, I do still love the enclosed gardens of Charleston and Savannah; and am not deserting that plan for my courtyard. I am just firming up the over-all plan for our front garden. Most people, when entering my home, comment on the wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookshelves. I think what I mean is that I have the opportunity to create a garden of whimsy, a garden for dreaming, a storybook garden.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kenzie, you are so sweet to comment on here. I really don't know that much about what I am doing, but am taking a course through University of Alabama and trying to document the transformation of our front area into a garden.

    I will share info as I learn it and Good Luck with your garden!

    ReplyDelete