Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Wish List of Plants

When you want to grow a garden, you work with the space you have and plant a diversity of species accordingly.

All shady gardens are not created equal. The density and duration of light vs. darkness influence what kinds of plants can grow in a given place.

So this is a fancy way of saying I can't necessarily grow what I want in the garden, but if I work with what will grow I can have the garden I want.

I am already a big fan of hosta and fern, and have planted a number of them around the cement girl. There is also ivy planted as a ground cover and azalea planted in the wooded bed behind the cement girl and before the road.


I am thinking of adding foxglove- the tall spires have a cottage, old fashioned look. Foxgloves are bi-annuals, so it will be the second year before they flower, but they seed freely so once established I should have a nice bed.




Lily of the Valley prefers dappled shade, grows well under trees, smells like the oil I wore as a child, and promotes peace and harmony.


Torenia, sometimes called wishbone flower, is a charming annual with beautiful trumpet-shaped blooms and comes in a dark blue/purple that attracts hummingbirds.
 
 
Astilbe Younique Silvery Pink™
 
Atilbe is a rugged and beautiful genus of shade lovering perennial that throw colorful spikes above divided foliage. The foliage is similar to fern, and the flowers are airy and delicate looking, and make good cut flowers.  

This wish list of plants is only the beginning. My garden will be slowing traffic by next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment